There is a moment every Hingham winter when you can’t seem to find the cause of the draft in your home. It could potentially be coming from a window that isn’t shut or sealed properly. Even the thinnest of cracks can make homes uneasy and chilly, potentially resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
According to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with appropriately sealed windows. To help limit spending and cut down drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s important to be able to distinguish where these window drafts may be located and why. Here are some useful tips to pinpoint your Hingham home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Search for gaps and breaks in unusual points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the usual windows with operable means and use a simple visual inspection.
- Check to guarantee that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Make sure that the sealant or gasket around the operable portion of the window or door is accurately sealing.
- Inspect the installation by verifying if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the harsh opening. A window will only function as well as it is set up.
- Call a specialist from Pella Windows and Doors in Hingham to have them conduct a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to attend to the source of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Hingham a call at 781-826-8005 with any extra questions or prospective replacement needs.